Tuesday, June 17, 2008

DOCTORS AND I

After the disastrous first experience with a doctor when I was born, I should have known it would be best to stay away from them fellers, but I didn't. I only remember going to see a doctor three times before going into the service. Once to have a toe nail pulled out, the time a bug got in my ear, and the time I stuck my arm through a plate glass window. From then on it was all down hill. I was in perfect health until that evening in 1956 when a model airplane propeller blade let loose and hit me square in my left eye. They operated and sewed it up, but after 3 weeks of healing, I could not detect any light. Another operation was performed, and the useless eye was completely removed. Weeks of pain followed, and when I was healed enough, I went to New Orleans for a new plastic eye. The preparer is more an artist than a doctor and he tries for a perfect match. This guy was excellent, and for many years people that didn't know me couldn't really tell. At about the same time I noticed some angry red spots on my nose and neck. The great doctors I say diagnosed it as a form of leprosy, and game me some skin cream to apply twice a day. Of course it didn't work and after a year or so it just got worse, then began my years of radiation and skin grafts around my eyes and face. I really can't say how many operations I had, I only know that I was cut more times than I had birthdays. The problem was that any one surgery never seemed to take care of my problem. The area around my right eye just keep coming back again and again.

No comments: