Tuesday, June 17, 2008

MY NEW LIFE IN THE DARK

After my blindness it certainly seemed that every thing I loved to do was no longer possible. This was just a fact and I tried to face it. I began to move incessantly in what seemed to be a search for something to touch, something to do. Lilly got me some modeling clay that I began to play with. It seemed to work. I was soon creating small statues of various things. After some encouragement, I began to pursue it in earnest. We took some of my creations down to the college where Dr. Justin Fairbanks also encouraged me in this pursuit. I began to attend his sculpture classes where I learned a great deal. I made statues of many things, but my specialty was horses. Many were given to family and friends, and I even sold some. Another thing I really missed was being involved with model aircraft. We decided to just go on out to the local R.C. field. I met with my old buddies and really enjoyed it. We began subscribing to the model magazine to catch up on the latest developments and called my Brother-in-law Dale, who was active in models, engines, and radios like mad trying to get (back into the hobby as much as possible) with hope of enjoying that part of my life again. Ronald was great. He and I built airplanes together flying together, and just talked airplanes. It did turn out to be lots of fun.
Thinking about other things I could do with my hands I remembered how much I had enjoyed working with guns. We began ordering gun kits from which I could build into replicas of antique firearms. This also turned out to be a lot of fun. I made Cap and ball pistols for all my kids and made agreements with the local Gun Shop to sell others. I would sand and file days on each one, while Lilly took care of applying the finish. Many days of pleasant togetherness resulted from this pursuit. I was also able to continue teaching the Gospel Doctrine and High Priest classes when called to do so. Lilly and I were called to work in the Family History Center every Thursday, which helped us in our pursuit of genealogy. We were able to send Hundreds of names to the temple and extend our family lines back many generations. So where my Life did change, it was still very good.
I have hung my hat so many places, but none that I would change, this life is lived for experiences, and mine have been many, and this I have learned, try always to do your best, trust in the Lord, and pray for guidance, and all will be well. There is still more to come but as for now, I'm busy and happy. I love my family, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU...

No comments: