Sunday, July 6, 2008

DEATH RIDES AND HIGHWAY

When I was about 13 and living in Mesa I made a little car using parts from a motor scooter and miscellaneous sheet metal and angle iron. Which looked like a Model A Ford with one wheel in the back. I was very proud of the little car and drove it all over Mesa, including to Mutual. On my way home I decided to go down main street because this was the shortest way home. It was dark and I had no lights or breaks. I was about to turn to my home road when I noticed red lights behind me. Doing my best to turn off the engine and stop by dragging my feet, I finally got stopped. From behind me came a great big policeman, who sternly listed all my violations, including no driver's license, unlicensed vehicle, and none of the required safety features. I was so scared I knew I was going to prison. Unknown to me the policeman had recorded the whole thing on a tape recorder. After turning off the tape recorder he sternly told me to go home and never take it on the road again.
About a week later the family was tuned into KOY in Phoenix and a program called,
"Death Rides the Highway" came on the air and I was the main offender, you would here me in my little boys voice saying, "No Sir, I don't have a license. Oh no!"

No comments: